This is my second pendant & earring set made from a broken saucer from a set of china. I used gold filled wire to wrap it & it seems to set it off nicely.
My sister & I have teamed up to offer you some new creations. Since we have a horse ranch in North Carolina, Porter Ranch, she has been making some awesome bracelets, necklaces & other goodies with the horse tail hair from our horses. She will also create pieces for you from your horse's tail, as well so be sure to contact us if you would like something created from your own special horse. I will be offering some of my pendants on her Horsetail Creations necklaces & later on, as part of her bracelets. You will find these special treats on the Rocky Treasures & Horsetail Creations Collaborations page. She also does kumihimo, as you can see by the yellow & green necklace combination. Here are some pictures of what we have so far.
You can find more information on Porter Ranch here: www.porterranch.us
Started a ring last year, we're talking months & months ago & I finally finished it. Tina Dykes, my teacher, helped me with soldering the bezel together & soldering it to the back plate. She also helped me with soldering the shank of the ring together. In fact, to be honest, she probably did most of the soldering herself, with a little help from me, haha!! Recently she came over & we did another lesson. Tackling the completion of the ring was part of it. We needed to solder the setting to the ring shank & once again, she helped me with that & we got it done. Couple of days later I was setting the stone and uh-ohhhhh, the setting separated from the shank. Ooooooops!!
Well Tina had to go out of town so she couldn't baby sit me for this one & I was determined to finish it this time. Well, that involved removing the stone out of the bezel. New lesson learned!
I cleaned everything up real good, filed a very flat spot this time on the shank for the setting, got real brave & tackled the soldering. Hallelujah!!! I got'er done!!! Here are some pictures for ya.
Yeah, it's been a while! Chalk it up to partly being busy & partly due to laziness! Here's just a few pictures to update what's been going on.
Scrap piece of copper. I liked the shape so I textured it with one of the gadgets that came in the kit I got with my rotary tool. Then I annealed it & this became my first practice piece to go through the rolling mill. I used a piece of rik-rak from some left over sewing supplies. Sooo now the rolling mill I got 2 months ago has been officially broke in!
Here is the rolling mill.
Okay, so I've been slacking where the blog is concerned so let's get you all a little update.
I finished another pendant, had a whole lot of help from Tina, my instructor & learned a heck of a lot. Like, for instance not to bite off more than my torch can chew.
The piece of copper I wanted to solder my bezels to for the stones I picked out was too big to get sufficiently hot enough for the torches I was using, a propane & a butane. She finally took it home & zapped it with her acetylene torch. There are a few more issues but that is my secret.
Here is a picture of the finished piece. Oh yeah, the gorgeous coral cabochon was cut from material I got from rockandshoal on ebay.
Another project I've been working on is a flat lap. I am finally almost done with that! Here is a before picture.
I still have to rig up a drip system to keep my rocks well lubricated while I grind them & I also need to create some sort of a shield for the motor. Here are some pictures of my progress. I used one of those service carts to make the whole set up portable. Since I am limited on space I will need to wheel the whole setup out of my way.
I drilled a hole in the cart for a hose (from an old sink sprayer) to fit through & go into a bucket underneath for drainage.
This is the area where I will set up the drip system, just a soon as I figure out the best way to do it. I am open to suggestions, by the way!
The new switch is now located on the side of the cart instead of on the board, which was also replaced & I now have a grounded cord & new wires to make it all nice and safe to use. Thank you very much Jeremy Clayton for the help with that!
I finally got to take a metal smithing class to learn how to solder metal. I learned to make a bezel & to solder it to a piece of brass & the brass to the copper. Then I soldered a bail to it. Tina Dykes of Keys Breeze Creations was my teacher & she did an really great job of teaching me. Thank you very much SuziQ for my first lesson
Well, Weebly has made a bunch of changes to how websites are set up & I think I have finally "got it"! That means things are going to look a bit different. I am still trying to get used to it, but I do believe it's for the better!
All the pages are now displayed by a representative picture on the front page which should make for easier navigation. Just click on the picture & off you go!
Videos have their own page now & there is a heading for links to other websites, like our other family businesses & places related to lapidary & crafting websites or just personal favorites.
I am still trying to learn how to drive traffic to my website. I think that slowly, (and I do mean slowly) but surely, I am starting to wrap my brain around it........just not too sure of all that yet!!!